Skip to main content

My Benefits

Important Reminders

  • The VA will only allow “degree pursuant hours” (only classes that count toward your degree) to be certified. Undergraduate students will need at least 12 degree pursuant hours to receive your full monthly stipend. Graduate students, please see link under "Current Students" to view credit hours needed for full time status.  Exception: your credit hours do NOT need to be degree pursuant in your graduating semester.
  • All students using VA Education benefits are eligible for Priority Registration.
  • Always notify your Certifying Official if classes are added or dropped. 
  • If you choose to drop a class(es) that result in less than full time status, the VA will request re-payment.
  • The VA does not consider classes you take for a Minor as degree pursuant unless the Minor is required for the Major.
  • Notify your Certifying Official if you change your major. The VA requires a Prior Credit Evaluation form be completed by your new adviser. Neglecting to do so will result in the delay of your certification.

Chapter 33: Post – 9/11 GI Bill®

Applies to: Service members who on or after September 11, 2001:

  • Served on active duty for at least 90 days of aggregate service.
  • OR were discharged with a service-related disability after 30 continuous days.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®

Applies to: Veterans and service members with at least 2 years of active duty and have elected to have payments deducted for the first 12 months of service.

Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Applies to:

  • Dependents or spouses of veterans who have died or are totally and permanently disabled as the result of a service connected disability or died while evaluated as having a total and permanent disability, or
  • Dependents or spouse of a person who is listed as a POW or MIA.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve

Applies to: Active members of components of the Selected Reserve and National Guard. Eligible participants require:

  • Enlistment or reenlistment in the selected reserve with an obligation to serve for a period of not less than 6 years following enlistment on or after July 1, 1985
  • Completion of secondary school diploma requirements, or
  • Completion of IDAT (initial date active training).

Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness & Employment

Applies to: This program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. The benefit can be used if the service member has a 10 percent or more service-connected disability.

Kickers and Additional Contributions

A kicker is part of an enlistment contract, often referred to as the Army College Fund. The kicker is a fixed dollar amount that will be disbursed in even installments over the course of the entitlement period for Chapter 30 and 1606 recipients. Service members also have the opportunity to pay additional contribution amounts that are generally matched 9 to 1 and added to the monthly benefit in even disbursements. The VA should automatically pay the higher benefit rate as an addition to the normal entitlement amount paid each month to the veteran. If not, the veteran should contact the VA Regional Office processing their claim.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is a Department of Defense program. The program is not administered or monitored by the VA. Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and even vary between different units within the same branch of service depending on whether the unit is active, reserve or National Guard. Questions regarding Tuition Assistance, as well as the obtaining of application forms, should be directed to the veteran student’s unit Education Service Officer.

WVU certifying officials do not determine a veteran’s eligibility for benefits. We will assist in the completion of applications and communication of veteran student enrollment to the VA for the purposes of certification and receipt of benefits. For more information regarding Tuition Assistance at WVU, please contact the Office of Student Accounts or call 304-293-4006.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Follow Us on Social Media

Here's what we're talking about on Twitter: